Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Food Storage Thoughts and Questions

Okay, so I'm really trying to do better about getting our family's food storage together. As a result I have some thoughts and questions I thought I'd share. Maybe some of you have the same questions. I'd love any feedback!
  • Do you think that everything in your 72 hour/month supply needs to be stored together in one place? Or is it perfectly appropriate to have the extra toilet paper in one place, the extra diapers in another place, and the food in yet another place? Do you think that whenever we need to use this stuff that we'll still be in our homes, or will we need to gather our things quickly and leave?
  • A lot of people seem to do their food storage in bulk. I'm wondering if that's really a good idea for everyone. I don't buy our normal groceries in bulk because we rarely go through, say a jar of spaghetti sauce, before it goes bad. When I think of food storage it needs to be things that don't need to be refrigerated. So if I have a huge jar of spaghetti sauce stored and then we open it, but can't refrigerate it, then a lot is lost. What do you think?
  • Are there any good ways to store things like sugar and rice besides canning? Is seems that canning is tricky to come by here.
I'm sure there are more thoughts to come. . . just thought I'd share. Thanks to all the people in the ward that are giving us a push and lots of good advice to get us going! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment